American Girl Debuts Claudie with roots in NYC, celebrating the Harlem Renaissance
American Girl launched its newest historical doll, Claudie Wells, a Twenties historic character with roots in New York City, celebrating the Harlem Renaissance. NYC children of all ages will love that Claudie represents a wholly new alternative to showcase NYC historical past as AG continues its legacy of constructing ladies of robust character by the energy of storytelling. Claudie’s story was written and created in collaboration with New York Times bestselling creator of The Vanishing Half and The Mothers, Brit Bennett (her first ever youngsters’s e book!).
According to Bennett, “Before I ever sat in entrance of a pc to kind, I had already began telling tales every time I performed with my dolls. My sister and I have been in love with our American Girl dolls and books, particularly Addy. While the doll itself was lovely, what enchanted me was Addy’s brave story written by the trailblazing creator Connie Porter, so creating a brand new historic character for American Girl has been a dream come true. As a woman, I at all times beloved finding out the Harlem Renaissance, an outpouring of Black artistry that emerged alongside bigger struggles for equal rights. I hope readers will take pleasure in exploring this fascinating period by Claudie’s eyes.”
During the Harlem Renaissance, Claudie is surrounded by gifted artists, musicians, and writers, and units out to seek out out what her skills are. Despite the challenges of the time, Harlem was a spot of hope, new beginnings and black inventive pleasure. Bringing Claudie and her story to life is an attractive, 18” doll that was crafted with a model new doll sculpt, has curly brown hair with a hair bow, and is dressed in a woven plaid costume, thick sweater, and knee excessive socks with black Mary Janes.
Psst…try Back to School: Expert Tips on Keeping Kids Healthy this School Year
Along with this signature outfit, American Girls’ partnership with Harlem’s Fashion Row, the premier design company that creates a bridge between manufacturers and designers of colour in vogue, continues to develop with three special-edition outfits designed by HFR designer, Sammy B which might be a contemporary tackle 1920’s vogue.
To have a good time Claudie’s debut, followers can take part in the following free occasions and actions:
- Hear from creator Brit Bennett in a video chat and examine Why Claudie Matters, with an in depth take a look at the vital themes coated in the story.
- Visit American Girl retail shops to discover Claudie’s product world, take pleasure in particular Claudie-themed menu objects at the signature cafes, attend e book signings, win prizes, and extra.
- Sing alongside to Claudie’s music video on American Girl’s YouTube and YouTube Kids Channel.
- Check out American Girl’s TikTook channel and Instagram for enjoyable, Claudie-inspired social content material, like a digital tour of her boardinghouse bed room, a cooking demo of her favourite recipe, and different actions.
- Enjoy free Claudie actions and browse an excerpt of her e book on American Girl’s play website.
In addition, American Girl is supporting the Harlem School of the Arts (HSA), the famend cultural middle, to assist encourage in the present day’s youth to grow to be artistic thinkers by donating a mixed $100,000 in money and Claudie dolls and books, with funding directed towards HSA Prep, a pre-professional scholarship program offering college students ages 12-18 with superior degree arts coaching in music, dance, theater, and visible arts.